Dysart Kirk was built in 1874 on land bought from the 4th Earl of Rosslyn. The architect was Campbell Douglas from Glasgow,a brother of Robert Douglas who founded the engineering firm of Douglas and Grant in Kirkcaldy and Dysart. He chose an unusual cloverleaf shape for the building; possibly influenced by the design of a church he had seen on the continent.
In 1900, it became St. Serf’ss United Free Church; and in 1929, the congregation became Church of Scotland under the name of St. Serf’s Dysart. In 1972 after a successful union with the Barony Church in Normand Road it became known as Dysart Kirk.
Something of the history of the church can be seen through its various memorials â€“ in stone, wood or glass â€“ which have been installed throughout the years.
There are a number of stained glass windows the most recent being the Millennium windows, designed by Catriona R. MacKinnon, installed by the congregation for the year 2000.
One very striking feature in the church are the murals by the Glasgow artist and architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Further information about these can be found on our Murals page.
We have a number of Open Days throughout the year and information on these can be found on our posts and in the Fife Free Press.
The building has recently undergone major restoration and repairs with new heating, lighting and a sound/vision system. The traditional pews have been removed front he Sanctuary and replaced with moveable seating to facilitate multi purpose usage.
Attached to the Church building is a suite of Halls and Meeting Rooms on various levels with ancillary accommodations including kitchens, toilets and accessible toilet facilities.